Friday, May 1, 2020

Macro May 2020 - Day 1

This whole staying at home, working from home, kids doing school at home due to the current Covid-19 pandemic has been so weird. We are now ending our 6th week! I am grateful to be able to work from home and keep as safe and isolated as possible. At the same time I grieve for my 16 year old who will not get a Leavers' Assembly or get to attend Prom or say a real goodbye to so many friends. This is a real rite of passage year and it all seems like it has been snatched away. It's sad and disappointing.

All three kids are handling it all so well though. We know they miss seeing their friends in person, but we really have not had complaining, they have just got on with it. Of course there has been more screen time, especially as it is the one way they can still connect with peers and unfortunately the house is pretty disastrous with all of us here and all our stuff, be it school work or work I've brought home, but I am proud of the way we have been able to handle this whole crazy situation.

I, on the other hand, had high hopes of being creative at the outset, but I find myself constantly exhausted, unmotivated and uninspired. Even in times of boredom, with time on my hands, it feels like so much effort to rally and do anything with meaning. But it is May 1st and in years past I have taken part in Macro May, so will try again. I missed last year as hubby and I started the month travelling to Rome for a long weekend to meet up with friends celebrating their anniversary. Although I had taken my lens, I had opted not to carry my big camera around, due to weight and worries about theft, plus the scale of that city is the very opposite of tiny and close up.

This year feels like it could be harder, spending so much time at home and no pretty garden to shoot in, so no guarantees that I will complete the month. We are restricted in how far and how often we can leave the house; only once a day for exercise or for essential travel to buy food, help vulnerable people etc. so I will do what I can and not add pressure to myself, when life already feels intense enough for the moment.

So day 1 isn't hugely exciting but here it is:


If you decide to take part in Macro May this year, let me know, I'd love to follow along.

No comments :

Post a Comment