Monday, February 4, 2013

52 Weeks of 2013 - Week 5


Remember that silly poem about what little girls are made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice? Well what I love about my daughter (and what sometimes drives me crazy, if I'm being honest) is that she is no pushover. She is wonderful and sweet and caring and kind but she is nobody's fool!

I am glad of it. I want her to be independent and strong, not swayed by popular opinion or peer pressure. I want her to stand up for herself and for what she believes in. Sometimes that means, as she tests our boundaries, that there is inappropriate behavior, but that is part of our role as parents; to teach her how to handle herself and be heard, without anger and spite. This is the safe training ground, surrounded by those who love her, who will never reject her or take revenge. This is her place to bloom.

She has a spark and a joy and the ability to laugh at herself and they will carry her far. She is determined and I know that will serve her well in life. She will be one who take risks, she will go for it when others are standing back. I pray that she will be bold and courageous, even though at times she feels afraid.

Right now she is my little girl and as much as I would like to keep her that way, I cannot wait to see the woman she will become and all that she will achieve!

No comments :

Post a Comment